Friday, January 23, 2009

Die Another Day

by Marsha Loftis

This Week's Verse: 2 Corinthians 4:11, "For we who are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh." (NASB)

Devotion:
When given the choice between bowing to satan and or having your head chopped off, the answer is an easy one, isn't it? I'd be singing "Pop Goes the Weasel" before they could get the blade ready! Dying that one time for that reason is a 'no brainer'. . .no pun intended.

But what about the times when I make the wrong choice? Making the choice to live for satan in that moment. Isn't that the same thing? Every time I choose to ignore what I know in my heart God wants me to do, I make the same wrong choice.

Why is the decision to lay down my life for my God so simple, but the every day deaths I either choose to endure or choose to ignore are so hard?! Losing my patience, looking down on someone, not helping when I see a need... Ignoring these everyday situations and giving into the flesh kills off a little piece of what God wants me to be. I'm killing myself off anyway, why can't I die to my earthly wants and desires and take that step that will bring me closer to the person God intended?

Every day I choose to die another day. More than that even, every moment I choose to die to myself and what my flesh wants to do and to give God the control over my life. Lordship. Ownership. I am merely a steward for this vessel that He gave me.

Father, I pray that I come to you every time I feel the flesh start to give in. Lend me Your strength to die to my fleshly desires and take one more step toward being the person You want me to be. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Application: The next time you feel those fleshy desires, take a moment to pray and decide to offer up the control so you may glorify His name. It will bring you closer to the person who wants to be like Christ. Giving Him control makes you stronger in your walk and gives Him glory!

Power Verses:
Matthew 26:41, "Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." (NASB)
Romans 6:19, "You can easily recall, can't you, how at one time the more you did just what you felt like doing--not caring about others, not caring about God--the worse your life became and the less freedom you had? And how much different is it now as you live in God's freedom, your lives healed and expansive in holiness?" (MSG)
2 Corinthians 4:11, "Our lives are at constant risk for Jesus' sake, which makes Jesus' life all the more evident in us. While we're going through the worst, you're getting the best!" (MSG)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

"Ignoring these everyday situations and giving into the flesh kills off a little piece of what God wants me to be." WOW. That is powerful in its conviction. Thanks for the reminder.