Friday, May 8, 2009

Realizations

by Bethany Lashbrook

This Week’s Verse: Ecclesiastes 5:18, "It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life." (NIV)

Devotion:
A few weeks ago, I wrote a devotion called “Confessions” regarding my personal struggles with my body and how I have asked God to help me love my body like he does. He has given me some answers most recently on how I should feel about myself, and I wanted to openly share them with my fellow sisters.

Regarding my belly roll, my Father has said: “My daughter, don’t you know I gave you that roll to remember giving birth to your two lovely daughters? Some women can’t have children, and you want to complain?”

Regarding the dark circles under my eyes, my Creator says: “Oh child, all of those years that you stayed up late, partying the night away. If only you would have known then what you know now. I just gave you those circles of a reminder of where you came from. Never ever look down on others who are having a rough time. Never dwell on your past – rather, help those who are going through a situation like yours and let them know how well lit their future is with Jesus.”

Regarding the age spots appearing on my body, my King says: “Oh beautiful, these spots are a sign of maturity and age. Do you dare complain to me about getting older? Aren’t you glad you can say you have been on this Earth for 30 years?”

Regarding the wrinkles appearing on my face, my God says: “Darling, don’t you know that wrinkles can be caused from the sun? Dare you complain about spending too much time in the sun? You have a life of liberty to be able to lay out by a pool and soak up the sun all summer long and then want to ask why I gave you wrinkles?”

Regarding my fat dangle from my arms (no snickering please), my Maker says: “Honey, that is to remind you of your family whom you so dearly loved. I gave you a piece of each of them on your body. Your dangly arms from Grandma Virgie, your skinny feet from your Grandma Viv, your hands exactly like your Grandpa Bill’s, and your love of children from your Grandpa Dick. Although it might not look right to you, this is perfect to me! Remember their hard work and their dedication to their family. They knew the important moments in life were well worth remembering. They taught you many things.”

The Lord has spoken to me through prayer, through my heart, through dear friends and family, through His Word, and through other reading material constantly the last three weeks. I need to remember that I am precious to my Maker. I am a princess, belonging to the King. I can openly choose to accept my lot in life, and be happy or I can complain, looking down on the way God created me. I choose to be happy.

Dear Lord, thank you for giving me the security of having three meals to eat everyday. Thank you for allowing me to stay home with my children, and enjoy almost each and every summer day in the sun by a pool. Thank you for reminding me of my history. Thank you for planting each of my grandparents and parents into my body so I can remember them daily. Thank you for allowing others to speak to me and opening my ears to listen. I still might struggle from time to time with my body, but I will praise you for making me – well, me.

Application:
Do you have honest friends and family who help you in times of need? Sometimes friends can spell it out for us in the easiest ways. Be open to suggestions and feedback from good Christian sisters and brothers!

Power Verses:
Matthew 10:29-31, "What's the price of a pet canary? Some loose change, right? And God cares what happens to it even more than you do. He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail—even numbering the hairs on your head! So don't be intimidated by all this bully talk. You're worth more than a million canaries. (MSG)
Genesis 1:26, "Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.” (NLT)
Matthew 6:25, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?" (NIV)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Bethany, I LOVE this! It made me grateful for what I have--even though my body need LOTS of work from my perspective, I just need to take care of it as best I can and trust that God made it the way it is for his splendid purposes. Thanks for a much-needed reminder.

Marsha said...

Bethany, this is beautiful and so are you! Thank you for sharing so openly and deeply. You are a blessing to me. I'm so glad I know you!

Debby C. said...

Bethany, thanks for sharing your writing talent with us. Your girls have a wonderful role model.
Love, Deb