Friday, July 30, 2010

What If?

by Denise Reed

This Week’s Verse: Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (NIV)

Devotion:
Sometimes when I’m lying in bed I get a bad case of the “what-ifs”. My mind starts thinking about every possible bad or tragic thing that can happen to me and my family. What if my husband gets in a fatal accident to/from work? What if one of my children dies in some sort of freak accident? What if someone breaks into our house while we’re sleeping?. . . and the list goes on and on.

Next thing I know, I’m crying in bed, and I’m feeling stupid. I’m crying about my husband dying and he’s laying right next to me! I’m just hoping he’s already asleep so he doesn’t hear me sniffling. I wouldn’t want to tell him why I’m crying! Does anybody else do this?

But then, thankfully, God reminds me of this week’s verse and I feel peace and relief. I am not relieved because tragedies will never happen. But I am consoled because I know that if disaster strikes, God will get me through it.

Just look at the example God provides for us in the book of Job—in fact, I’m convinced God included Job’s story in the Word to inspire us to hold on through any hardship. In this extreme case we see the proper way to react when tragedy occurs. He relies on God during his excessive hardships and remains faithful. He learns more about the nature of God through his adversity and we would do well to grasp the same truth.

God is our comforter, our strength when we are weak. It is SO hard when difficulties come, but it will be okay. God promises to never hurt us. We have to trust His promises and carry out our mission here on this earth. Although we would love for it to, the world will not stop for us in times of calamity.

How terrible it must be for non-Christians to go through tragedies without knowing God’s promises! We believers have something they don’t, though, and it’s our job to reach out to them and anyone needing the promises and strength of Christ.

We have the answer to the world’s “What ifs…”

Lord, thank you for the example of your servant Job. I pray that you will remind me of your promises when my mind starts to wonder. I pray that I can console others with your promises when tragedies occur. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application:
Next time you get a case of the "what-ifs" allow yourself to be comforted by God’s word and find strength in knowing that tragedy will not overcome you.

Power Verses:
2 Cor. 1:4, “…who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” (NIV)
Rom. 8:18, “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”(NIV)
Ps 119:50, “My comfort in my suffering is this: your promise preserves my life.” (NIV)

No comments: