Friday, November 5, 2010

With Open Arms

By Bethany Lashbrook

This Week’s Verse: Isaiah 12:2 “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” (NIV)

Devotion: Recently, during our “business with God” time at our church, a song hit home with me. I had a light-bulb moment, as some would call it. My AHA moment was envisioning this: I was running through this gorgeous field of grass (yep, sounds a bit like a movie to me too) and my arms were open. I was running towards God.

It made me think how often that I run towards God in this manner? Do I run towards Him every day? Do I smile at Him? Open my arms to Him? Shouldn’t I always be running towards God with my arms open?

My arms being open states two things: One, I want God to take all that I have, all that I am and rescue me from this world. Two, I love Him and am opening my arms to Him.

Often times I am running, but I don’t know if it’s towards God or away from Him. I also find myself running in front of God, or behind Him. This week, I am going to try to run towards God.

If I don’t practice running towards God in the good times in my life, how will I ever make it during the rough times? Practicing this now means a brighter, more secure future later.

Dear Lord, thank you for helping me seek your will and your guidance in my life. Help these women to do the same. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Applications: Have you ever pictured yourself with God? What does your picture look like?

Power Verses:

2 John 1:9 “Anyone who wanders away from his teaching has no relationship with God. But anyone who remains in the teaching of Christ has a relationship with both the Father and Son” (NLT)

John 14:1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me.” (NIV)

Isaiah 40:11 “He will feed his flock like a shepherd. He will carry the lambs in his arms, holding them close to his heart. He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young.” (NLT)

2 comments:

debbyc said...

I have had one of those weeks where all I have done everyday is call on God. Hopefully I was running toward him in my trials. Just in case I wasn't I will remember these verses you referenced. THanks for sharing kiddo

Melissa Milbourn said...

I read this scripture this morning and thought of this devotion:

‎"Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me, and once that person is with me, I hold on and don't let go." Jesus (John 6:37)