Friday, April 29, 2011

Hide and Seek

By Bethany Lashbrook

Why is it when I get on the phone, immediately something dramatic happens with my children? It's like they enter a different world and become little people I've never met before. They turn into little rascals who think that since a phone is by my ear that I can neither see nor hear. This week alone I hung up on both my mom and husband while hearing terrifying screams come from my children. I ran to them - arms open - asking what has happened (of course, thinking something serious like broken bones) just to find they have been fighting.

For you that only have boys, let me tell you, girls fights can be brutal. They hit, kick, bite, pinch (with fingernails mind you), pull hair, and yes, spit. Oh, and don't forget the punching.

How often do I act different because I think God is looking a different way? "That earthquake is so large, He must have His eyes on it, so I can [fill in the blank]."

This week, I need to remember that it's not important what I do when people are watching, but what's important is what I do when people AREN'T watching! When no one is watching, and we still act like God-loving, God-fearing, God-made people, we can make Him proud!

Dear Lord, help me to remember to always act in an upright manner. Help me to remember someone always sees me - if no one on earth - then you. Help me to live a life that becomes so natural to be loving and kind towards others that I do it without ceasing. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Application: When was the last time you picked up a good book to read? Ask one of your gals what she has been reading and pick it up! A good book can lead us to repentance, acceptance, and a loving attitude towards those that surround us.

Power Verses:
Job 19:25, "I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end, he will stand on the earth." (NIV)

Romans 12:2, " Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." (NIV)

Psalm 127:3, "Children are a gift from the Lord, they are a gift from him. (NLT)

No comments: