Sunday, April 1, 2012

If God Leads, Will You Follow?
by Charity Pence

This Week’s Verse: 1 Peter 2:21 “For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps.”

I have been at my current job for three years. To some people, that may not seem like a long time. However, when I began working there my intent was to be there for no more than a year and a half. I was going to go to grad school, but that did not turn out the way I expected. Okay, who am I kidding? I felt like that door was slammed in my face. But I know God has a plan for me, and my current job is just a stepping stone to where God wants me to be. The question is, when God finally calls me, will I be ready to follow Him?

In the first chapter of Jonah, we learn God called Jonah for a particular task, and Jonah went the opposite direction. Jonah didn’t want any part of the work God was calling him to do. A raging sea and the belly of a great fish were needed to convince Jonah that he would be better off serving God. When I read this story, I wonder how often we make things worse for ourselves by doing our own thing rather than what God has called us to do.

In previous posts, I have mentioned that I believe God gave me the ability and desire to write. I have found myself regularly asking God what He wants me to do. Although I have been given the opportunity to do these devotions, I do not believe this is all God has in store. I love to write. I know what I want to write. But what if what I want is not what God wants? Am I willing to trade my plans for God’s?

Have you ever considered how many of the disciples wanted to leave everything they had behind to follow Jesus? “And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then He said to them, ‘Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ They immediately left their nets and followed him.” Matt. 4:18-20 (NKJ) The last verse makes the choice seem so simple. They immediately left. If God called you today away from your job, your family, would you go?

At some point we are all called by God to a particular task. But will we answer?

Dear Heavenly Father, my desire to serve you is real. As I seek your guidance, continue preparing me for your work so that when the time comes for me to go, I will go immediately. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Application: God calls each and every one of us to serve Him. But what He calls one to do may not be the same as what He calls the next person to do. God may ask you to leave for a specific destination. Or He may ask you to complete a task closer to home. Whichever the case, continue to seek His presence. If you trust Him, He will prepare you.

Power Verses:
Matt. 9:9 “As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. ‘Follow me,’ he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.” (NIV)
John 12:26 “If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me, and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.” (NKJ)
Romans 11:29 “For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.” (NKJ)

No comments: