Sunday, August 5, 2012

Fan or Follower?

by Charity Pence

This Week's Verse: "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (NKJ)

Have you ever asked yourself if you're a fan or a follower of Jesus? There's a big difference between the two. You can like something, or someone in this case, without taking any action. In other words, you can be a fan. However, to be a follower means more than just liking something. A true Jesus follower doesn't just read about Jesus; he or she displays characteristics that Jesus displayed.

It's so easy for us to act contrary to what a Christian should be. We get mad. We hold grudges. We treat those who have hurt as as our worst enemies. But Jesus said, "Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you." Matthew 5:44 (NKJ) A fan says behaving as Jesus commanded is a good idea. But a follower goes further by striving to be obedient to that command.

Being like Jesus is what being a Christian is all about.

Dear Heavenly Father, So often I act in a way that goes against You and who You are. Please forgive me for being hasty in my anger, for not being concerned as I should be for those who have hurt me. I call myself a Christian, Lord. So please help me to be that. Make me more aware of how I treat others so that Your light will shine through me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 Peter 3:8: "Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous." (NKJ)

No comments: