Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Devastation of Sin

by Charity Pence

This Week's Verse: Psalm 1:6 "For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the ungodly shall perish." (NKJ)

What comes to mind when you think of sin? I've been reading through the book of Psalms, and there is a particular passage that stands out to me.  "There is no soundness in my flesh because of Your anger, nor any health in my bones because of my sin.  For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me.  My wounds are foul and festering because of my foolishness." Psalm 38:3-5.  My wounds are foul and festering.  When I picture that, I see a terrible, painful sore oozing with pus.  It's a nasty image, isn't it? But that is exactly what sin does to us.

The consequences of freely partaking in sin can be devastating.  Sin weakens our body and makes us physically ill.  David, the writer of the 38th Psalm, understood this very well.  The physical toll is not the worst consequence, though.  Sin wedges itself between us and God, causing a separation between us and our Heavenly Father.  Isaiah 6:3 tells us God is holy, holy, holy.  And in 1 Thessalonians 4:7-8 we are reminded, "For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness.  Therefore, he who rejects this does not reject man but God, who also has given us His holy spirit."  So in choosing sin, we forsake God.  For how can we stand in His presence, He who is most holy, when we are full of sin?

We can find comfort in Romans 6:23: "For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."  Whew.  We can breathe easier now, right? Perhaps.  But only if we've truly repented and made Christ our Lord.  The question is this: if we are freely partaking in sin, are we truly repenting? Or are we foolish enough to think sinning is okay because we can repent for it later and be forgiven? Now don't get me wrong.  The Bible assures us of God's grace and forgiveness.  But that means we have to continually check ourselves and be sure we are truly striving to resist sin.  This is where prayer comes in.  The truth is, we can't do this on our own.  We have a sinful nature.  However, God fills us with His strength when we pray which allows us to resist the temptations we are faced with daily.  Prayer is our strongest tool.  We should use it more often.

Dear Heavenly Father, You know what sins we struggle with daily.  You know the burden sin places on us.  You call us to a life without sin because you know the damage it causes.  Therefore, be with us, O Lord.  Please fill us with your strength so we can resist the traps set for us by the devil.  We are your children, and we wish to draw near to You.  We love You, Lord.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

Application: When you find yourself tempted this week, call out to God.  He will always show us the correct path as long as we seek it.

Power Verses:
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Titus 2:11, 12 "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age."


5 comments:

aka Scarlett Risen said...

I am glad someone is writing about something valuable and worthwhile. Keep it up!!! Thanks for your thoughts....

Women's Ministry Team said...

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Bridal saree said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

Ty said...

This is also true! I am glad that someone is honest with the people telling them that sin separates us from the Father! ;) love it

Women's Ministry Team said...

Glad you like it. Thanks for reading!