Thursday, June 13, 2013

God Is Our Strength

by Charity Pence

Memory Verse: "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivereth him out of them all." Psalm 34:19 (NKJ)

"I'm not strong enough."
"I can't do it."
"It's more than I can handle."

Do you ever make those statements? I know I do.  What I find interesting, though, is that for all my talk about not being strong enough, I'm strong enough to cling to things I shouldn't.  Perhaps you can relate.  Is there a situation in your life that God has asked you to correct? Have you taken the necessary steps to be obedient? Making changes is hard, regardless of their degree of difficulty.  But I wonder, wouldn't it be easier to make the change and be done with it rather than exerting so much energy on fighting it?

Too many times I've allowed the devil to trap me in negative thought patterns like the ones listed above, but the problem isn't necessarily with the statements alone.  The greater problem is that the statements and the discouragement that comes with them cause me to forget I don't have to have all the strength.  Instead, I need to call out to Jesus, who is more than enough.  Jesus said to Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness."  2 Corinthians 12:9 (NKJ)

Allowing ourselves to feel alone is easy, especially when faced with challenging circumstances.  But God is right there with us.  And "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:19.  Don't let Satan fool you into thinking you're on your own to battle this world.  Jesus says, "I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you." John 14:18 (KJV)  Trust God to show you the way.  "In all ways acknowledge Him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:6 (KJV)

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for being all that I need, for never forsaking me when life becomes more than I can bear.  Open my eyes so I see you, Lord, and nothing else.  I place my trust in You, and You will not forsake me.  I love You, Lord.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

Power Verses:
Psalm 40:4: "Blessed is the man that maketh the Lord his trust."
1 Peter 5:7: "Casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you."



No comments: