Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

By Jessica Finney

Psalm 103:13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;

Have you ever thought about how much impact our earthly fathers are to show us what our Heavenly Father is like? I have thought about this often. Some come to know the Lord to find the Father they never had and some completely turn their back because how could a heavenly Father love and care for them if their earthly father didn't. 

Our Fathers can be a hindrance to come to know the Lord or they can be our pathway to the Lord.  If you think about it, a father that has compassion on his children will want to lead them to know the Lord. They will protect their children and you can't help but know that they love their children. They love us unconditionally. They put themselves last to make sure their children are fed and feel loved.

A father that doesn't seem to care can hinder us coming to know the Lord.  If our earthly father didn't show love, then how can our heavenly Father love us?  We are apparently not worthy of love.  At least that is what the devil wants us to believe. I cannot imagine how a father can't love their child.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  I have heard about fathers that are afraid to get hurt by their child because of a divorce. To me this is selfish.  A father should put their self aside to show their love to their child.  

Our heavenly Father has done all He can do to show us His love. He gave us His Son to die on the cross for our sins. I hope, if you are reading this and do not have a earthly father that has seemed to care that you will be open to know the love of our Heavenly Father.

I have a "step" dad that has always been there for me. I put step in parenthesis because he has always been a dad to me. He has shown me how my Heavenly Father loves me. My "step" dad didn't go to church until my junior or senior year but he loved me and always put himself aside to make sure I had everything I need, when really he didn't have too. He didn't have to marry my mom knowing she had a child but he did. He didn't have to take time in the evenings after working all day to play with me but he did.

 This is the same with our Heavenly Father, He didn't have to create us but He did. He didn't have to send His Son to die for our sins but He did.

All of you fathers out there, please take heart the blessing God has given you and cherish the moment with your child. It maybe the only thing that brings them to the Lord. They need your love and your time.  Money can't buy happiness so don't just go out and buy them something. Go outside and play ball with them or a board game. (even if it isn't something you enjoy) Your time means more to them then anything on this earth.

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray for all the people that don't have earthly fathers for whatever reason, that they may come to know you and know the love You have for them. I pray that they can get the strength and courage to be the father they need to be. I thank you for bringing my "step" dad in my life because he has shown me the time and love that I needed.  In Jesus precious name, Amen

No comments: