Friday, November 28, 2008

Are We There Yet?

by Kathy Lay

This Week's Verse: Hebrews 4:16, “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” (NIV)

Devotion:
You’re familiar with the scene—an hours-long trip in a cramped car occupied by you, maybe another adult, and at least one child. The trees and buildings speed by, but even though you’re making great time, the inevitable question resonates from the back seat: “Are we there yet?” At first you answer a patient, “No, not yet.” You might even smile at the familiarity of the situation. But by the fourth, ninth, and sixteenth times, you’re dangerously close to pulling “this car over!” and making everyone else walk. Been there?

So has God. Consider the prayers He often hears. Can you fix this problem now, Lord? Where’s my healing I’ve been asking for? I need my answer about his job today, God. Are you even listening? No doubt, by the fourth time, He’s also grown weary of the request. He, like you in the car, knows that “we aren’t there yet” and He probably wishes that response would satisfy enough to result in our patience.

But His ways are not our ways—thankfully! Instead of frustrated threats to end the journey, He provides kindness and mercy when we approach His throne, as shown in this week’s verse. When His answer is “no” or “not yet” He wants us to be confident that He will provide the kindness and mercy we need to be sustained. His boundless grace can move us from Are we there yet? to a point of Let’s enjoy the ride together, Lord; I trust Your timing.

And whenever you arrive is just perfect.

God, thank You for providing me with kindness and mercy when I approach Your throne, even when I do so repeatedly, not heeding the answers You’ve already given me. Replace my impatience or boredom with enthusiasm for the ride.

Application: What is an area in your life in which you've been waiting on God? Can you see how the process of waiting might be refining certain areas? Take heart; He's got a plan AND a timeframe for your good.

Power Verses:
Ecc. 7:8
, “Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.” (NLT)
1 Tim. 1:16, “But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.” (NLT)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice reminder.... I have absolutely no patience at all!!! I need to start remembering how patient God is with me.