Friday, January 21, 2011

Simple Prayer

By Bethany Lashbrook

This Week’s Verse: Jeremiah 29:12, “In those days when you pray, I will listen.” (NLT)

Devotion: Sometimes during my quiet time with the Lord, when I bow my head to pray, either the words out of my mouth or the thought prayers in my head are truly wonderful. The Holy Spirit leads me so beautifully.

Then, I go to my Mother’s Prayer Group – and we pray out loud. I stutter, speak short words and stumble all over the place. Why is that?

I try not to worry about it much because I know the Lord knows what I am trying to say – even when the words don’t come out right.

Jesus provided specific instruction on how to pray. He says in Matthew, “And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be hard because of their many words. Do not be like them for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. This, then, is how you should pray:

‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our debts

As we also have forgiven our

Debtors.

And lead us not into temptation,

But deliver us from the evil one.’ (6:6-13, NIV)

This is so simple and beautiful. And perfect.

Lord, help me to revive my prayer time. Help me to remember the instructions you gave us in your word. Thank you for your son Jesus and for the Holy Spirit within us. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Applications: Having trouble praying? Go to BibleGateway.com and type in ‘prayer’. Wow – lots of others have had similar situations that you and I have!

Power Verses:

Isaiah 63:7 [Praise and Prayer], “I will tell of the kindnesses of the LORD, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the LORD has done for us—yes, the many good things he has done for Israel, according to his compassion and many kindnesses.”

Acts 20:36, “And when he [Paul] had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all.” (NKJV)

Hebrews 13:18, “Pray for us, for our conscience is clear and we want to live honorably in everything we do.” (NLT)

No comments: