Friday, January 28, 2011

Talking Donkey

By Bethany Lashbrook

This Week’s Verse: Numbers 22:28, “Then the LORD opened the donkey’s mouth, and it said to Balaam, ‘What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?’” (NIV)

Devotion:Christians get a “bad” rap for not having a very fun life. Nonbelievers sometimes think that if we take out drunkenness, foolishness, partying all night, and hating our enemies, what could be fun in life?

I’ll tell you what I think is fun – talking donkeys. The bible is so full of interesting stories it keeps my children amused and keeps me engrossed. I think that living God’s way makes our life more exhilarating.

Along with talking donkeys we get Noah and his ark that survives the largest earthly flood, Daniel who made it safely out of the lion’s den, and shadrach meshach and abednego, who withstand fires so hot we would all die in seconds. And this is all in the Old Testament!

In the New Testament, we get to see Jesus born in a manger, Jesus die on the cross, and Jesus rise from the ground. We also see Paul and many others live the life Jesus asked us to live – and sacrifice their own life for it!

Contrary to what others may think, I believe this Christian life is pretty exciting. Although, I have yet to listen to a talking donkey or build an ark that sustains the harshest weather – I do have some pretty extraordinary life moments that could shake anyone’s mind! Don’t we all!

Dear Father, help us to remember our lives are exciting just because we follow you! Guide and direct us in all you do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Applications: What is your favorite exciting bible story? Reread it this week to your children, your significant other, or just by yourself and marvel in God’s work in your own life!

Power Verses:

Daniel 616, “So the king gave the order, and they brought Daniel and threw him into the lions’ den. The king said to Daniel, “May your God, whom you serve continually, rescue you!” (NIV)

Acts 26:29, “Paul replied, “Whether quickly or not, I pray to God that both you and everyone here in this audience might become the same as I am, except for these chains.” (NLT)

Romans 13:13, “Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.” (NIV)

No comments: