Friday, July 22, 2011

God's Word is His Promise

By Charity Pence

This Week’s Verse: Psalm 119:105, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” (NKJV)

Devotion:
A few years ago I wrote out some Bible verses and posted them around my home. The purpose was to keep myself surrounded by God’s word. Deuteronomy 11:18 says, “Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.” (KJV) God commands us to keep his word before us. However, over time, I became oblivious to the posts I had put up. They began to blend in with the surroundings so that I barely saw them.

Finally realizing this, I recently took them down and opened my Bible so I could write down verses that apply to my current circumstances. Then I stuck them in places where they would be hard to overlook and made a point each day to acknowledge them. 2 Timothy 3:16 says, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (NKJV) God’s word has exactly what we need when we need it.

A week later, I noticed an obvious change in my attitude. Coincidence? Not hardly. Being surrounded by God’s promises reminded me of all the good God has planned for me. My hope was renewed! “This hope we have as an anchor to the soul, both sure and steadfast, which enters the presence behind the veil.” Hebrews 6:19 (NKJV)

I plan to move the verses around and update them as often as necessary. I want to continue to be surrounded by God’s word.

It is interesting that God’s word is always available to me. But I have to recognize it. I have to accept it, believe it and claim it! “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Romans 10:17 (KJV)

Dear Heavenly Father, sometimes I forget that the Bible is not just a book filled with your words but also your promise to me and all people. When I am reading your word, help me to see you are speaking directly to me. Please protect me from Satan’s attempts to steal your promise. Your word is true, Lord. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Applications: When is the last time you really allowed God’s word to soak into your heart? Take time this week to study God’s word. Find a verse that applies to whatever you may be going through and keep it before you at all times. It makes a difference!

Power Verses:
Hebrews 4:12
, “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (NKJV)

John 1:1, “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God.” (KJV)

John 8:31-32, “Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed in Him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.’” (NKJV)

2 comments:

Debby C. said...

loved it - great idea! Thanks for sharing and thanks for taking time to help with the devotionals every week.

Anonymous said...

I have read this every day this week! Thank you for the reminder!
~Bethany