Sunday, January 15, 2012

Called By God

By Charity Pence

This Week’s Verse: James 2:26 “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.” (NIV)

Have you ever taken time to consider what God has gifted you with? I’m not talking about material gifts; I’m talking about spiritual gifts. God has designed each one of us with certain characteristics that make us who we are, and we are to use those characteristics to further His kingdom. Romans 12:4 states, “For as we have many members in one body, but all members do not have the same function.” (NKJ) Chapter 12 goes on to list specific gifts that God has placed within His people. I once took an assessment ranking my gifts. The top three were serving, having mercy, and teaching.

Writing has been a passion of mine since junior high. When I first discovered my joy for writing, I never considered it was from God. But now I know it is my God-given desire. And when I agreed to take over this blog ministry, it was my way of putting together what God has equipped me with. I do not like speaking in front of others. I get nervous and trip over my words, become embarrassed and then more nervous. But I love to write, and I believe I can. And I enjoy being able to serve God by teaching others through this ministry.

I say all this because I have had something stirring in my heart for a long time. I have this feeling that something big is coming. Sometimes it’s hard to remember there is a spiritual battle taking place right now because we can’t see it. But Satan is working overtime. 2 Timothy 4:2-5 states, “Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.” (NKJ) These verses remind us that the time to act is now, not tomorrow or the day after. That being the case, we need to make sure we are doing our part to reach others for Christ. And we need to keep working even if we can’t see the results because God is working, too.

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for the gifts you have instilled in me. Help me to use those gifts for You and Your kingdom. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Applications: So what is your gift? If you don’t know, review Romans Chapter 12 and seek God’s guidance so He can show you the work He has called for you to complete.

Power Verses:
Philippians 4:9 “Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.” (KJV)
I Corinthians 7:17 “But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.” (KJV)
James 1:17 “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” (NIV)

No comments: