Sunday, January 29, 2012

God Our Motivator

by Charity Pence

This Week’s Verse: “For the Lord will be your confidence.” Proverbs 3:26a (NIV)

I was talking to a writing buddy of mine earlier this week, and he mentioned he was not feeling very motivated to work on his writing project. He was looking for reinforcement to know he wasn’t wasting his time. And I realized something. We all lack motivation at some point.

Our daily demands keep us running, and it’s difficult to come up with the energy to put forth in something when we’re not seeing any positive results. In Deuteronomy 5:32, God tells the Israelites, “Therefore you shall be careful to do as the Lord your God has commanded you; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.” (NKJ) But maybe you’re tripping on stumbling block after stumbling block. Or perhaps you’re working on a task God has called you to do, and you have an expectation for how it will turn out, but it’s becoming nothing like you imagined it would be.

When we get to this point, we often question ourselves. Is this worth it? Am I doing something wrong? Should I do something else instead? And that’s where Satan gets us. Rather than listening to the devil and his lies, we need to focus on God. “Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.” Psalm 37: 3-5 (KJV)

The fact is, what God asks us to do is not always easy. And we are human. We get tired, discouraged, scared. But Joshua 1:9 says, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (NKJ) And that’s the truth.

Dear Heavenly Father, sometimes I get tired, and I wonder if I’m wasting my time. Forgive me for when I haven’t trusted in You as I should have. Strengthen me; help me to tune out the world so that the only voice I hear is Yours. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Don’t let the devil convince you to quit. Trust God and God alone. He will be your strength and assurance.

Power Verses:
Zechariah 4:6b “‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts.” (NKJ) Psalm 121:1, 2 “I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” (NIV)
Romans 5: 3, 4 “And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope:” (KJV)

No comments: