Sunday, October 5, 2014

Friendship

by Jessica Finney

Proverbs 18:24 A man who has  friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

There aren't too many people who will stick closer than a brother.  Most of the time brothers can torment their sisters or brothers, but no one else would dare  mess with them; they will have a fight on their hands.

I have had some friends and family that have went through a lot of troubles along their way.  Nothing that they have brought on themselves but some pretty drastic events in their lives.  As I am sure everyone can relate to.  

Do you notice in those verses it doesn't say anything about going to them to give them advice? Maybe we could ask Job's friends and see how that worked out for them.  We know that wasn't pretty.  It is so easy to try to say the right things that might make them feel better.  I am so guilty of that, when you know sometimes they just need you to stick close without saying a word.  I am not very good at that.  I want to try to make them smile when in reality I am making it worse.  

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor.  For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls. For he has no one to help him up.

My cousin gave me a paper that had that verse on it with two girls on it holding each other up.  It was a perfect picture of what we are suppose to do.  Not only to be there for our friends but also to show  others about how God loves them. Because what better way to show God's love then to be there for one another?!

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for the many friends that you have given me and especially for those who stick closer to me then a brother.  Help me be the friend they need and put away my selfishness and show them the love they deserve.  Help me to keep my mouth shut when it is needed and open when you are using me to say what you want.  Help me to know the difference.  In Jesus name, Amen

1 comment:

rrbex said...

This was encouraging. Thank You!