Sunday, December 18, 2011

Getting Ahead of God

by Charity Pence


This Week’s Verse: Galatians 6:9 “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (KJV)

In the midst of trials, it is tempting to give up on waiting for God to work. Sometimes I am tempted to take matters into my own hands instead of letting God move. When circumstances have me freaking out, I want solutions. I don’t always want to wait patiently for God to show me the answers. But today God directed me to Genesis Chapter 19, and the story got me thinking. Many of you may be familiar with this chapter. It is here we learn about Lot, Abraham’s nephew, who was directed by two angels to flee Sodom with his wife and virgin daughters. This story from the Bible is more known for Lot’s wife disobeying an order to not turn back while fleeing, and she is turned into a pillar of salt. Though that is a good lesson for obedience, that is not what God pointed out to me. I want to focus on the daughters. Verse 14 tells us the men who were to marry Lot’s daughters did not believe Lot was serious when he told them they needed to leave the city. These two men were killed when they refused to leave, which left the two daughters without husbands. We later learn that Lot takes refuge in a cave with the two girls. And the girls, who are left with no marriage prospects, decide to deceive their father so they can bear children. Their plan is successful; the eldest daughter gives birth to Moab, and the youngest gives birth to Ammon. These two boys become the father of the Moabites and Ammonites respectively. And you know what else? These two races become enemies to the Israelites. God was willing to save Lot and his family, and in return, Lot’s daughters gave birth to two races of people who would eventually become enemies to God’s people. Not the picture perfect ending one would hope for.

There is no way for us to know what would have been or could have been if the two daughters had waited for the Lord to bless them in His own time. And that is the lesson for this week. When we take matters into our own hands without seeking God’s will, there is no knowing what kind of damage we may be causing. Or what blessings we may be missing out on. Ezra 8:22 says, “The hand of our God is upon all those for good who seek Him, but His power and His wrath are against all those who forsake Him.” (NKJV) Therefore, it is imperative that we remain steadfast and faithful. It’s rarely easy, but God loves us and will not forsake us if we are diligent. “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised).” Hebrews 10:23 (KJV)

Dear Heavenly Father, sometimes I feel as if I am drowning in circumstances beyond my control. Sometimes there is no light, and I cannot see, but I trust You are there. You have always been my provider. Please strengthen me, Lord, so I can stand firm on Your promises and please help me to believe all will be okay. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Applications: Sometimes life is just hard, and the answers are hardly ever clear. But God loves us all and does not desire for us to suffer. If you are struggling this week, don’t let the devil fill you with fear. Stand fast on God’s word and watch Him move on your behalf.

Power Verses:
I John 4:16 “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.” (KJV)
Galatians 3:14 “That the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the spirit through faith.” (NKJV)
Psalm 84:11, 12 “For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold form them that walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.” (KJV)

No comments: