Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Time For Peace

by Charity Pence

This Week’s Verse: John 14: 27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (KJV)

Devotion:
When I was a child, Christmas decorations didn’t get put up in our house until two weeks before Christmas. As I became older, I never understood why people were in such a hurry to celebrate. Don’t get me wrong, the birth of our Savior is definitely worth celebrating, not just for a few weeks or a month; we should be celebrating all year. That being said, I have to admit my decorations were out of the attic before Thanksgiving. And why was I so eager to get my decorations up? Because I knew Christmas would be over in the blink of an eye. I wanted to make sure I gave myself plenty of time to enjoy the holiday season.

You see, lately I’ve had a problem with slowing down. By the time I get one thing finished, I’ve thought of three more tasks that need completed. And I feel pressured to get those tasks done. Yes, I pressure myself. I don’t know why I do, but once I have my mental list prepared, I race through the day in order to get all the things done. Those things may be chores or errands or projects, but I’m always busy. And by the end of the day, I’m cranky and exhausted. But Matthew 11:28 tells us, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (KJV)

So this month, I have decided I want to enjoy Christmas and everything the holiday means. I want to take comfort in knowing Jesus was born to be my personal Savior. I want to accept the peace and assurance that has been so freely given to me. I want to sit down with a cup of hot chocolate and relax while enjoying the decorations in my house. I want to be still so I can allow God to restore me. 1 John 4:9 says, “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.” (NIV) Now, more than any other time during the year, is the time to recognize the birth of Jesus and what his birth means for all those who believe in him. And if that means we need to force ourselves to slow down, to stop adding additional items to our to-do lists, then we must do that.

Dear Heavenly Father, please help me to slow down this week and this month so I can truly appreciate what You have done for me. Forgive me for becoming so busy that I have neglected my relationship with You. I pray that I will allow myself to sit still so I can be surrounded by Your presence. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Applications: If you have difficulty slowing down, allow yourself to take a break this week. Let our Lord restore you this Christmas season so you can focus on what’s really important.

Power Verses:
Psalm 27:14
“Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.” (KJV)
Psalm 51:12 “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.” (NKJV)
Romans 5:1 “Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (NKJV)

No comments: